Installation of gabions
The installation of the gabions is not something extremely difficult, but it still requires a certain technological time and a strong hand. They can easily be assembled into cubical shapes as well as placed in their designated place. The more difficult part is filling them with inert material, most often using rock pieces. In the case of smaller gabions, this can be done by hand by “pouring” the stones into the gabion itself, but in the case of larger constructions with a supporting purpose, part of the process needs to be mechanized.
This is where we and our team of professionals at Smart Metal Group step in. We can assist you with the delivery, assembly, installation, placement, filling and decoration of all types of gabions for various types of objects.
Steps in the implementation of a project
- Consultation on the appropriate type of gabions, dimensions, inert material and others.
- Free consultation and option to inspect the site for the region. Sofia.
- Possible delivery with our transport to your site or assistance with organizing one.
- Preparation, clearing and leveling of the terrain.
- Assembly, installation and strengthening of metal fragments and panels.
- Filling the gabions with the selected inert material.
- Finishing works, decoration and others.
Services we perform in the installation of gabions
- Installation of gabions for decorative purposes – fences, enclosures, walls, flower beds, fireplaces and barbecues, walkways, water effects, garden furniture and others.
- Bank strengthening – construction, direction, correction, strengthening of water body beds, sewerage and drainage systems.
- Strengthening of slopes and embankments in order to prevent landslides, collapse, collapse and others.
- Terracing of grounds and construction of stairwells in uneven ground. Most often in residential construction of single-family, multi-family houses and closed complexes.
Required materials for installation
- The right type of gabion grids.
- Geotextile for laying on the base for drainage function.
- Galvanized spirals, galvanized wire or clamps (+ clamp pliers) to assemble the metal grids.
- Tensioners and diaphragms to strengthen the gabion structure.
- Inert material for filling the gabion baskets.
- Some sites require the additional purchase of anchors and other fasteners, planks, stakes, concrete and others, the installation of which would guarantee the durability of the structure.
How does an installation of gabions from Gabioni.eu proceed?
The first step is clearing the terrain and preparing it for the start of construction and installation activities. Excess vegetation, stone pieces and roots that would prevent the smooth installation of the gabions are removed from the terrain. If necessary, excavations or embankments are carried out. A geotextile is laid before the start of installation activities.
After that, we proceed to the assembly of the gabion grids. For this purpose, a flat and dry terrain is needed, where the metal grids are raised and fastened to each other, by means of clamps, wire, spirals, so as to form a cubic structure with a lid. The lid serves to open the gabion until it is filled with inert material. After that, it is also attached to the other sides of the gabion.
If necessary, anchor stakes are driven through the gabions to ensure their stability. At certain sites, planks with anchor bolts are used for attachment to nearby reinforced concrete elements. In others, tensioners are added to the gabions to further tighten the metal pages to prevent them from bulging. In the case of large gabions, diaphragms are added, which ensure greater stability and strength of the structure. All of these things depend on the type of site, tensile and compressive strength requirements, and many other factors that will be pre-discussed before starting the site.
Finally, the gabions are filled with inert material, selected in advance by the customer. Naturally, for each object, a suitable material is selected, most often rock pieces of a certain size, so that they are matched to the thickness of the wire and the opening (eye) of the gabion cells. The purpose is to prevent the filling from falling through the holes or from blowing the metal grids. After laying the inert material, the gabion baskets are closed.
It is possible for certain sites to carry out finishing works at the request of the client. Examples include building green systems, installing LED lighting, adding colorful and decorative elements, and many others.
We are here to help you every step of the way. You can contact us with any questions and doubts about whether gabions are the most suitable for the implementation of your idea.